My little sister Gabrielle is officially a teenager! For her 13th Birthday party she and her friends went to see the new Hunger Games movie. Lizzie and I of course crashed the party, and I brought the cake!
In my family, all birthday cakes involve chocolate, so for Gabrielle’s birthday I made a chocolate cake with a peanut butter frosting filling. In order to make the cake a little on the lighter side, without skimping on the flavor, I experimented with adding Greek yogurt. Overall, I think this addition makes the cake creamier and lighter.
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2/3 cup Greek yogurt
1/3 cup of milk (we used skim)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup hot coffee
- Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare 2 cake pans (8 inches – or in our case, heart-shaped pans) with a thin layer of butter and flour.
- Sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl (flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon).
- In a separate bowl whisk the wet ingredients together (greek yogurt, milk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla).
- Create a well in the bowl with the dry ingredients and slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry. Mix for 30 seconds.
- Add coffee and mix to incorporate.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pans and bake at 350°F for 35 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes and then remove from pans. To loosen cake from pan run a knife around the edges of the pan and gentle tap the bottom of the cake pan.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
Peanut Butter Frosting
(filling between two cake layers)
1 1/2 tablespoons of butter
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1 tablespoon milk
2/3 cup confectioners sugar
1. Combine butter and peanut butter.
2. Alternately add confectioners’ sugar and milk until frosting is light and fluffy.
3. Mix until light and fluffy.
4. Place one cake on serving plate and spread with even layer of frosting.
Greek Yogurt Chocolate Frosting
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup cocoa
3 cup powdered sugar
2/3 cup Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla
Happy Birthday Gabrielle!