For the wine tasting part of the shower I wanted to make a unique wine glass that would also double as the party favor. Anyone who has been to a wine party knows how hard it is to keep track of your wine glass and remember your wine charm color or shape. To solve this problem, I found a wine glass that allows you to write your name on it! Using chalkboard paint, you create a writeable surface (with chalk) on the base of the wineglass.
Chalkboard Wine Glasses
24 wine glasses
8 oz container of chalkboard paint (we bought the FolkArt Chalkboard Paint from Amazon.com)
small craft paintbrush
- Protect your work area by laying down plywood or heavy cardboard.
- Setup a drying area close to where you will be painting/dipping your wine glasses. Rip 3 sheets approximately 2.5 feet long of wax paper and lay next to each other.
- Cut a 1 inch piece of painter’s tape and wrap around the stem of the glass (close to the base).
- Pour chalkboard paint into a shallow wide bowl.
- Dip wineglass in paint.
- Using paintbrush wipe away excess paint from the base of the glass.
- Place wine glass on wax paper and allow to dry for one hour.
- Repeat step 5 and 6. Place on second sheet of wax paper and allow to dry for 30 minutes.
- Using paintbrush smooth bottom of wine glass (paint will be a little prickly when removed from wax paper).
- Place glasses upside-down on the wax paper and allow to dry for 12 hours (minimum).
- Once glasses are completely dry, carefully remove painters tape.
This idea quickly set the theme of the shower – wine, chalk, and chalkboard (using black and white as our main color scheme).
Congratulations Melissa and Wil!