The last thing that Theresa and I made a few weeks ago was Chocolate Chip Scones (a girl has to have her chocolate). We used the Skinny Chocolate Chip Scone Recipe we discovered on Pinterest. I thought that scones would be difficult to make. I lump scones in the same category as Biscotti – best bought at coffee shops or Trader Joe’s. Sometimes both count as breakfast foods in my book!
But, this recipe was easy, delicious, fast, and healthy(er). I would make these again in a heartbeat.
Chocolate Chip Scones
Yield: 8 large scones
3/4 cup cold buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup sugar
2 cup white whole wheat flour (Trader Joe’s)
1 tablespoon baking powder
3 tablespoons chilled butter
1 cup mini chocolate chips
1 egg white, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon of sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl whisk together buttermilk, egg and vanilla.
- In a large bowl combine sugar, flour, and baking powder. Using a pastry blender (or a fork since we didn’t have one) cut in butter.
- Add mini chocolate chips to dry mixture.
- Create a well in the bottom of the dry mixture bowl and pour in buttermilk mixture.
- Stir until just combined (do not over-mix).
- Lightly flour hands and knead mixture into a 9 inch circle; approximately 3/4 inch thick.
- Cut into 8 pieces (cut all the way through).
- Lightly brush with egg white mixture and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 20 minutes.